Sunday, July 6, 2008

MADRONE TRAIL REVISITED


The last time Hopkins and I rode was two weeks ago at Madrone Trail at Canyon Lake, north of San Antonio. Our morning ended abruptly with both of us getting pinch flats on the trail. Unfortunately, both of my spare tubes had holes in them, so it pretty much ended our day.



Today, armed with three new spare tubes each, we decided to try our luck at Madrone again. With the recent rains, we were concerned that the trail might be muddy, but it is so rocky, there were no mud issues.

It was a beautiful morning to ride, although neither of us felt in top condition. Hopkins seemed to be coming down with a bug because his stomach was queasy and he was very winded. My problems were alcohol related, having had one too many adult beverages at home last night.



We tried to push through our shortcomings and were able to ride further than last time. Eventually, Matt started feeling worse, so we found the park road and headed back to my truck.

Madrone is a challenging trail with varying levels of technicality. I look forward to heading back there and finishing the entire trail, as it is very scenic, with views of Canyon Lake at almost every turn. I would totally recommend this trail for intermediate and advanced riders, but head out early, as it gets very hot in the summer.

With the end of fiscal year madness over at work, I look forward to riding during the week again. When I don't ride, my body can sure feel it, as my stamina wanes considerably. Until next time, adios.


No comments: