Sunday, November 11, 2007

SNAKE BIT

After several months of riding various types of terrain without so much as a slow leak, it seems like I have been snake bit lately, as my rides have not been complete without a flat tire. Today was no exception.

Bert's bike has been in the shop the last couple of days for repairs, so I went to McAllister Park alone this morning. From the start, the ride didn't feel right for some reason. About an hour into the ride, my front tire started getting real unstable and I wiped out a couple of times on fairly easy turns.

I stopped to check, and sure enough, my tire was losing air pressure fast. I wasn't far from my truck, so I decided to head back so I could change the tire there. A few minutes later, I had changed the tire and was ready to get back on the trails, but the tire still felt unstable.

My best guess is the last time I was at Government Canyon and had to hike the 2 1/2 miles because of a flat, I think the sidewalls of my tire were so abused that it caused them to weaken to the point of being unstable now. So now it's down to Performance Bikes so I can buy a new front tire.
My day wasn't a total loss, as I was able to get an hour's workout, and a couple of pics of the airport from the top of a hill on the south end of McAllister Park. Later, Bert and I went to the Auto Show while Mel went clothes shopping. All in all, it was a pretty good weekend!

No comments: