Sunday, November 4, 2007

FACING MY FEARS HEAD ON

Those who know me know I don't like heights, but I like to ride high roller coasters. Those who know me know I'm claustrophobic, but I'll ride in elevators.

Those who read this blog know that I took a pretty bad spill in June at McAllister Park riding a particular trail, but not knowing that someone had built an earthen ramp on the trail. I went airborne and wound up with a slight shoulder separation that required weeks of physical therapy.

Today, I faced my fear and rode that trail again; I WASN'T going to let it beat me. Sometimes I can be hardheaded that way; call me stupid, call me what you want, but I AM NOT A LOSER!

Anyway, Albert and I decided to ride at McAllister again this morning. We arrived at 7:30 AM, hoping to avoid the crowds. We rode for three hours today, so I got a GOOD workout. Before we left, I decided I wanted to head back to Mud Creek, the site of my demise in June.

We stopped at the top of the drop off to see if there was anyone on the trail. I tried to get my foot out of the stirrup and it wouldn't budge....TIMBER! I fell over. Any sane person would have taken that as a sign to give up and go home, but NOT ME!

I picked myself up, brushed the rocks off my knee, and got back on my bike. I inched towards the edge of the dropoff, picked my line, and went for it! A few seconds later, I was at the bottom of Mud Creek, having successfully confronted my demon. Now mind you, I wasn't stupid enough to try the jump...I know my limitations. But I DID ride the trail successfully, and that was my goal. (pic below is Bert, not me)

Not only that, but I had concluded a three hour ride, which is a great workout for someone closer to 50 than 40! I was happy. Now, a day of football later, I feel satisfied and ready for the COWBOYS game! How 'bout them Cowboys!

No comments: