Wednesday, December 26, 2007

I TOOK THE PLUNGE

After mountain biking off and on the last six years, I decided to take the plunge and install "clipless pedals" on my bike. "Clipless" is a misnomer, because you actually clip your shoes to the pedals and become one with the bike, much like ski bindings. Like ski bindings, you have to practice clipping in, and getting out.


Luckily, Santa knew that I wanted to make the transition, so he brought me a pair of Crank Brothers Candy pedals and a pair of Shimano mountain biking shoes. For those of you unfamiliar with the concept, it is a little unnerving to realize that your feet are otherwise attached to your bike's pedals, but once you get used to it, it is fine.



I rode McAllister Park for almost an hour this morning. Being that I haven't ridden for one reason or another in three weeks, I was starting to get winded after an hour. Since the ride had gone well with no spills, I decided to head for a more technical part of the park.


As many times before, I wound up falling twice, but more for indecision on my part than anything else. I should know by now that once I decide to head down a rock trail, there is no turning back. If you second guess yourself at any part of the descent, you will fall. That's what happened today.


I scraped my left shin, but there was no blood drawn, so I'll live. I hope the weather is good enough so I can ride again tomorrow, because everyone tells me that practice makes almost perfect. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: