Wednesday, April 9, 2008

9 INNING VACATION!


Because of budgetary constraints, I was not able to join Michael in Dallas for the Texas Rangers' home opener. It's a bitch when tax time falls in the same month as the start of the baseball season, if you catch my drift.


After reading his last blog posting, I was inspired to do the next best thing - "Synchronized Baseball Games". Simply put, since I am on vacation this week, I would attend yesterday's San Antonio Missions' afternoon game while Michael went to the Rangers' home opener. Alas, we were a little off, as the Missions game started at noon and the Rangers game started at one.


Nevertheless, I bought a ticket online and picked it up at the Will Call window; simple enough. Later I would realize that my seat was on the second row behind home plate - AWESOME! I was the second fan into the stadium, so after a quick trip to the men's room, I headed to the concession stand. I didn't eat a filling breakfast, so I was STARVING by 11 am. I decided to do it up right - a foot long hot dog, box of popcorn, and a large Diet Coke.

Soon after, the game started and I settled in for a nice afternoon of indigestion and sunburn. The Missions did not disappoint, as they rallied in the 8th inning to beat the Tulsa Drillers (Texas Ranger farm team) 4 - 3.


I had hoped to get some nice action photos since I was so close to the action, but it was not to be. My sorry assed Panasonic digital camera focused on the net instead of the players, so most of the pics were blurry. Not to worry - plenty of stuff on the Internet to use....

The Rangers did not fare as well, losing 8 - 1 to the Baltimore Orioles. Michael said he still had a good time although traffic was horrible as usual.

Hopefully Michael and I will share more Ranger home openers in the future. It will just take better planning and budgeting on my part. After all, everyone knows TAXES are one of two certainties in life....

No comments: