Sunday, May 11, 2008

CHANGE OF SCENERY


A couple of weeks ago, I met a fellow mountain biker at McAllister Park; his name coincidentally enough is Matt. It's nice to have someone to ride with since Bert moved to California in January.

Having a riding partner makes it tougher to blow off rides because the sun didn't rise fast enough, the wind is blowing 9 mph instead of 6, etc. In other words, it's not as easy to make excuses not to ride. Not only that, but having a riding buddy pushes your limits physically because you don't want to weenie out on a particular trail, or stop every 5 minutes to rest.

Like me, Matt rode years ago and decided to get back into riding on a regular basis. Last weekend we rode McAllister Park. Having recently moved to San Antonio, he wasn't real familiar with all of the trails it offers. Since that has been my "home" park for several years, I gave him the nickle tour.

Today, we decided to venture out to O.P. Schnabel Park on the Northwest side of town. The park itself only has 4 miles or so of trails, but if you find your way down to the Leon Creek bed, there are several trails that spiderweb for miles. It is VERY easy to get lost, so I would not recommend riding alone, or late in the day.


We did get lost a couple of times, but I ACTUALLY STOPPED AND ASKED DIRECTIONS. Any way, after a sometimes technical 2 hr 15 min ride, we decided we had had enough and headed back to the truck. This is a ride I definitely want to do again; now that I have a riding buddy - I can. Thanks Matt!

No comments: