Wednesday, May 28, 2008

MIDWEEK RASPBERRIES

Hopkins and I decided to ride today after work, for me to blow off some steam and for him to get in a ride before he goes camping the rest of the week. Since we didn't have much time, we decided to meet at McAllister Park because it is only 5 or 10 minutes from our houses.

We rode the rock hills behind the soccer fields, then the rock garden trail near Jones-Maltsburger road. I decided to clip in to my pedals to get used to them since I've only had them a couple of weeks.

Wouldn't you know it, one of the screws came out and the shoe just rotated on the pedal like my last ride at Government Canyon. I had to stop on the side of the trail, take my foot out of the shoe which was still attached to the pedal. I was finally able to get it off and obviously didn't try to clip in after that.

We ventured to a creek just west of the dog park so I could show Matt some new trails. We found one downhill that was particularly intriguing, so we decided to give it a go. I went first and made it down in one piece. Hopkins went next and made it most of the way before he decided to gracefully bail from his bike.


I figured since I had so much fun riding it the first time, I would do it again. WRONG! I took the wrong line and wound up getting my front wheel stuck on a tree root. I dove over the handlebars and wound up getting matching raspberries on my forearm and leg...OUCHIE!


I figured I was due since I hadn't wiped out in months. Oh well, a quick shower and half a tube of Neosporin later, and I was almost as good as new. I guess I'll be riding solo Sunday since Hopkins will be playing Bear Grylls (Man vs Wild) in Central Texas somewhere. Hopefully he won't set the place on fire trying to show his kid how to start a campfire without matches or a lighter....

No comments: