Sunday, September 30, 2007

PSSSSST!




Psssst - is usually a sound that is met with anticipation and possible intrigue. It could mean someone is about to entrust you with a secret, or it could mean you are about to get a great deal on a "ROLIDEX" watch.


But to a bike rider, psssst is the second worst thing you could hear during a ride other than snap, crackle, or pop (bones, ligaments, or tendons). Psssst means you have a flat, which can put a damper on your ride depending on how prepared you are.


It is always a good idea to have an extra tube, tire tools, patch kit, and a pump or C02 inflater handy. During this morning's ride, I heard the tell-tale pssst, and sure enough, my front tire was going flat before my eyes.


After saying many words I can't post, I dug into my backpack and found the necessary tools to change the tube. Although I didn't set any records like a NASCAR pit crew, I was able to change the tube in 10 minutes or so. Not bad, considering I haven't had to practice much.


As mentioned in a previous post, my handy MULE proved to be a wise investment. It is the biker's equivalent to Tia Chencha's ginormous purse which contained many items including Vicks, lip-i-stik, Rolaids, asprin, a 48 pack of Maxi-Pads, and God only knows what else. Everyone makes fun of Tia Chencha AND the prepared biker until THEY need something from the bag!


Remember - better safe than sorry!

No comments: