Tuesday, October 2, 2007

BLESSING OR CURSE?




As I mentioned in a previous post, the mornings are cooling off, making for excellent riding weather. Although I believe this is a good thing, so do several hundred of my closest friends. Ok, that may be embellishing a bit, but the last couple of weekends, it seems like I have literally been tripping over people on the bike trails.




Keep in mind these trails are not paved; I avoid those, as they are full of walkers and they think they are a superior species, as they do not have their asses planted on a bicycle seat. Therefore, they seem to think they exercise harder than bikers, thus deserve use of the paved trails. Fine, I'll give them that, as I enjoy riding off-road more anyway.




I digress. The off-road trails are now so full that you chance a head on collision even on single track. Since many of these trails have blind corners, that can be dangerous, and I simply refuse to buy one of the "sissy bells" they have at the bike shops now. I'd rather take my chances with another biker head on. I weigh 230lbs; I like my odds.




Don't get me wrong, I'm glad so many people have taken an interest in mountain biking recently; I'm one of them. The thing that bothers me is that I have been riding all summer long, in the heat, sweating my butt off, with nary another soul in sight. Now, at the first hint of cooler weather, EVERYONE wants to ride.




Bert and I have decided to venture out and find new trails to ride. We are thinking about heading out to Government Canyon State Natural Area just outside of town. Neither of us has ridden it, and there are over 8600 acres to explore. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/government_canyon/




We hope to ride on Saturday and I will try to remember to take my camera so I can share the scenery with anyone who cares to check out the blog.

No comments: