Sunday, June 15, 2008

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!!

After last week's near heatstroke inducing marathon at Government Canyon, Hopkins and I decided to return to OP Schnabel Park today. At least there we can actually RIDE our bikes almost all of the time, compared to GC, where you hike 50-60 percent of the time.

We had a good three hour ride and wound up going further down Leon Creek creek bed past Bandera road. We met up with a biker who had ridden from SEA WORLD, some 15 miles south! More power to him; at least he had a GPS unit to keep from getting lost.

Hopkins and I headed back towards the park (see attached photo of our route). At one point we decided to head down a hill that we had navigated earlier in the day. I went first and must have had some dirt on my brakes, because I couldn't slow down as much as I had earlier. As a result, I rolled over a tree root and jumped smack dab into a small tree stump. Small or not, my front wheel didn't budge, so I DID.



I flew over the handlebars and did a classic Castellon endo and wound up scraping my right leg and arm, while also banging my left shin on the rocks, which left me with a big knot on my shin. I wiped them down with some handi-wipes, but my right leg wound up bleeding into my sock.

By the end of the ride, the dried blood mixed with the dust from the trail, made my leg look pretty gross. COOL. I decided to spare you the "before" pic; I figured the "after" would be bad enough. Next week we're off to explore the Madrone Trail at Canyon Lake, north of San Antonio.




On my way to drop Hopkins off, Michael called to wish me a Happy Father's Day! After I got home, showered and ate, Mel had a couple of Father's Day cards waiting for me. One was from her and the other was from Hershey and Mattie. She said they actually licked the envelope so she could seal it.

Later, Michael called me again, and Matt called while I was on the phone with Michael. I am truly blessed! I hope all of you Dads out there had as good a day as I am having! HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

No comments: