Sunday, June 22, 2008

MADRONE TRAIL - CANYON LAKE, TEXAS

Hopkins and I decided to expand our horizons a little this week, since our rides at McAllister and OP Schnabel were getting a little redundant. We decided to try the Madrone Trail on the North side of Canyon Lake.

Several weeks ago we met a biker at McAllister who suggested this trail, so I researched it, looked it up on Google Earth, and it looked like it would be a fun ride. Besides, it is surrounded by the lake on three sides, so I figured it would be hard to get lost.


The first part of the trail started out technical enough, as there was climbing and many rock gardens to ride through. We did quite a bit of hiking (not as much as Govt Canyon), but most of the trail was rideable. It would have helped if we had full suspension bikes, but we did the best we could on our hardtails. The trail is very scenic, with awesome views of the lake.

Once we finished the first section of trails, we crossed the park road and met a biker resting. He explained that the part we just completed was the most technical of the trail and was a little over 2 miles. He said the second portion of the trail didn't have as many ledges and was the "fun" part of the ride. He mentioned this section was a little over 6 miles long.

Sure enough, after a GU break, we were on the second part of the trail and it was living up to his "fun" designation. There were several other bikers on this part of the trail; apparently there was a Bike Mojo rally going on today that neither of us was aware of.



A short time into the ride, Hopkins got a pinch flat. After a few minutes, we had his spare tube in and we were on our way. Shortly after, we went over a rock garden and I heard my back tube "pop". Sure enough, I had a pinch flat too. I put one of my spares in, but it was hissing. Obviously I didn't patch it correctly. Luckily I keep a couple of spare tubes in my backpack, so I had one more to try.

It was more receptive and soon I had it up to pressure and we were on our way. Within seconds, my back tire felt spongy again - DAMMIT! The second spare tube also had a leak! Neither of us had another spare, so we started hoofing it back to the truck.

We found the main park road and were walking our bikes, when a guy in a pickup pulled up next to us. He told us to throw our bikes in the back and he would give us a lift to my truck. Thank God, as it was pretty hot outside by now. Having to walk your bike back in the middle of a ride is no fun to begin with; when it is hot outside, it is torture.

Hopkins and I agreed that we would need to return soon to finish this trail; it seemed very promising and lived up to its billing. On the way back, we stopped at the bike shop and bought new spare tubes. Now we know to be better prepared for the Madrone of all trails!

Next week I will be in Dallas visiting Michael, so it will be a couple of weeks before we can get back out to Canyon Lake; I can't wait!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wonderful site... Is your dog digging? Try putting cayenne pepper in the holes - they don't like the sensation when they go back to dig again. Dog Trailers