Friday, October 17, 2008

BEAUTIFUL DAY!



It has been pretty stressful at work lately, so I decided to take a personal day to ride off some stress. I hit Madrone Trail about 10 am and decided I was going to try and ride the entire trail. Although I like the first two miles the best, I figured since I had the whole day to myself, I would try the whole thing.




The sun was shining and there was a crispness in the air. I love fall! When I was younger, summer was my favorite time of year, but especially since I've been riding, Fall has taken first place. Sixty five degree temperatures make for a VERY comfortable bike ride!


Although the first part of the trail is challenging, having several climbs, I was able to complete it with few breaks. I finished the first three miles within an hour and took a break to rest and eat a GU packet. After five minutes, I was back on the trail headed for the dreaded Madrone rock gardens. As you will see from the pictures, these rocks are large and treacherous, some with very sharp edges.



I stopped for a couple of minutes at the bottom of an old boat ramp, that is no longer in use. It was kind of sad to see Canyon Lake, as it is several feet low. There was probably a hundred feet or so of exposed ramp that is usually under water.


I continued to the West side of the trail and stopped to take pictures of a canyon facing the lake. There were several tires strewn about; I don't understand how people can toss trash about as if it was a dump. Cigarette butt tossers are a huge peeve of mine, but that's another story.




I wound up finishing the 9 mile trail in 2 hrs and 45 minutes, but I stopped a few times along the way to take pictures and catch my breath. All in all, it was a good ride. I really like Madrone, but I hate having to drive almost an hour each way (depending on traffic).


Once home, I washed and detailed my bike, cut the front yard, and played with Hershey and Mattie. I am pretty tired right now, but it was a great day off. Tomorrow will be another COLLEGE FOOTBALL DAY, with Tech playing A&M at 11 and Texas vs. Missouri at 7 pm. Sunday we will head to Austin to have lunch with Bert, who is in from California for a friends wedding. It will be good to see him.



Depending on what time we have to be in Austin, I may or may not ride Sunday. If I do, it will probably be close to home, just so I can get another workout in. Until next time, GO TECH!

No comments: