Sunday, February 1, 2009

RESPECTABLE RIDE


This morning I chose to try out a trail new to me - Salado Creek Greenbelt Trail. It is found off Blanco Rd., just South of Bitters Road. This is one of many trails that the City of San Antonio is linking together to total over 20+ miles of trails that will stretch from North of Loop 1604, to the southside Mission Trails.



The trail is not overly technical, but at the beginning, there is an off camber trail that is on the edge of a cliff, with about a 20 foot drop. Since I wasn't familiar with the trail, I decided to dismount and walk this part. As you can see, it was a significant drop with no room for error.




My objective was to ride the trail past Huebner Road, then continue past Loop 1604. Unfortunately, after 4.5 miles into the ride, my rear wheel felt wobbly. I stopped to check it and discovered I had two broken spokes on my rear wheel. Knowing that the rest of the trail was supposed to be rocky, I decided not to chance it and turned around to head back to the truck. Overall, I rode 8 miles in a couple of hours.



Although it is a good change of pace trail, it does not replace Madrone as my favorite. As I mentioned, other than the initial off camber trails and the occasional rock gardens, the toughest part of the trail that I encountered were the ledges and rocks pictured below. As you can see compared to my bike, this was not a section of trail I wanted to tackle with wheel problems.




I will definitely ride this trail again, after I get my wheel repaired and my bike tuned up. I still want to reach Loop 1604 to see what I find north of it. Once I got home, I ate, then washed my bike, and Mel helped me wash my Xterra and her car.




Now I'm ready to sink into my recliner to enjoy the Super Bowl!

No comments: