Sunday, November 9, 2008

BACK ON THE HORSE



so to speak....

I didn't ride last weekend. I really don't know why, but I got up early last Sunday and followed my regular pre-ride routine. Then something in me said, "Don't go". My hips had been hurting my the night before and continued that morning, but normally I would take a couple of Ibuprofen and hit the trails. Maybe the time change had something to do with it; I don't know. Either way, I didn't ride and I was MISERABLE this past week.

I've found that even if I don't push myself to my physical limit, as long as I ride weekly, it helps keep my stress levels under control and I generally have a more positive outlook on everything. Not this week.

Eager to atone for my poor choice, I was stoked about riding this morning. I decided to go to Madrone trail to get in a good workout. The morning was beautiful, but a bit chilly, so I dressed in layers with a Under Armor undershirt with an Under Armor top layer.

My gears have been acting up a bit, continuing to shift erratically, but I found a set of gears that didn't complain much and I was underway. I was a bit apprehensive because there were around five cars/trucks in the parking lot so I was worried that the trails would be crowded. Fortunately that wasn't the case. I did see a handful of riders throughout the first section of the trail, but nothing unbearable.



I did have some neagtive effects from not riding last week, as my stamina was diminished somewhat, but I just took breaks as needed and didn't let it bother me. I did have to walk some sections of the trail, but that happens every time I ride there. It's worth it for the downhills! I attacked almost all of the downhill ledges and drops, getting chicken on only three. I'll conquer them at some point, as it is a mental challenge that I have to work though.




Madrone is really a pretty, scenic trail, although Canyon Lake's water level is so low, it looks a bit sad. The trails make up for it though. I like having a few trails to pick from depending on my riding mood. If I want to hit some climbing, rock gardens, ledges, and other technical sections, I go to Madrone. If I want a long ride where I can build some speed, with a few technical sections, I go to OP Schnabel. If I just want something close where I can get in a long ride with little technical sections, I run over to McAllster Park. If I really want to challenge myself, I head out to Government Canyon for a hike/bike day out.




I am very fortunate to live near trails within a reasonable drive, that let me experience so much varied terrain; I love it! Oh yeah, I almost forgot....



GUNS UP! GO TECH! BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF OU!

No comments: