Tuesday, October 23, 2007

AWAY FROM HOME



Now that Michael is living in Irving, it is his first extended period of time being away from family. I remember when I first moved to Dallas after the divorce; it was a very lonely and humbling experience. I wouldn't trade it for the world because that is where I met my wonderful wife, but it DID make me stronger.

My visits back to Odessa were always bittersweet. Odessa will always have good memories for me as I spent most of my life there, but it also has many tough memories I don't necessarily like to dwell upon.

On one hand, I couldn't wait to get back because it meant I would get to see the boys! On the other hand, my limited visiting time meant someone would get left out and get their feelings hurt because I didn't spend any, or enough time with them.

Most friends and family don't understand the stress they put upon you because of their expectations. Many times, I would want to just sneak in, see the boys, and sneak out so I wouldn't hurt anyone by not seeing them during a trip to Odessa.

The one exception has always been my Mom. She always understood that the boys were my priority and I wanted to spend as much time as I could with them. Knowing this, she and David would always offer the "quartito" in the back for me to crash. Mom knew that if I stayed there, she would get to spend some time with both the boys and me.
Mom never pressured me to spend a certain amount of time with her. "Mijo", she would always say, "I'm just happy to see you for any little bitty bit that I can." When I would wake up, she would always have coffee ready even though she doesn't drink it regularly. She and I would sit and have coffee before I would head out for that day's adventure. Before I would leave, she would hug me, kiss my cheek, and say, "I'll be here when you get back."

I know that as a father, I have my faults. But if I can be half the parent my mom has been to me, I will be happy. Mom has never been one for guilt trips. I have never blamed her for my poor decisions and she has always accepted responsibility for hers. That seems to work for us.

I don't know how much longer I will have my mom on this world, so I try to make the best of the time left. I try to call her at least a couple of times a week to check up on her, or just to let her vent about work. As she gets older, she reminds me of my Granny quite a bit.

I am very proud of Michael for realizing that there is more to life than the tumbleweeds of West Texas, and wanting to better himself and realize his dreams. I like to think that leaving made me a better and stronger person; I know it will do the same for him.

No comments: