Sunday, October 14, 2007

THE FRIENDLY CONFINES





After my butt whippin at Government Canyon last week, I was itchin to ride this weekend. I had an appointment Saturday morning, so I wasn't able to ride then. Bert flew in from a weeklong contract in Portland on Saturday evening, so we went for a ride this morning.


I had a new appreciation for McAllister park; nice, flat, McAllister park! Actually, our two hour ride was a good workout for me, as I was drenched with sweat afterwards. Bert barely broke a sweat, so the ride was just a warmup for him. He planned to ride after the Cowboy game with his cousin and a friend in Austin.


There were the usual suspects on the trails today, but we navigated the park without incident for the most part. There were a couple of downhills where my bike nearly went one way and me the other, but I was able to stay the course.


We went down the same trail that caused a minor concussion for my son Matt about 6 years ago. I was riding lead and had built up a nice bit of speed, but the particular line I decided to take was leading me directly into a tree. I tried to feather my brakes to slow down, but I wasn't slowing enough. At the last minute, I swerved to avoid the tree, and my hydration pak banged against the tree trunk; better it than me!


I had hoped to get to the gym this week during my lunch hours, but we have corporate auditors in the office, so I'll have to stick around to answer questions. Bert will be in California the latter part of the week, so I'll probably go riding alone on Saturday. Then, a quick shower, lunch, and settle in to see Tech vs. Missouri Saturday afternoon.



No comments: