Tuesday, September 16, 2008

DON'T LISTEN TO THE VOICES

After not riding at all last week because (insert excuse here), my body was starting to complain about my inactivity over the last several days. My ankles were hurting and my left hamstring was so tight I had Mel stretch me last night before bedtime.

Overall I knew that stress had a lot to do with it because my bike riding helps me keep my stress in check. The last couple of days have been cool, Fall-like temperatures, so I hoped to ride after work today.

I left work a little early to beat traffic and get my gear ready to ride. On the way home, I was starting to get real sleepy. So much so, that I was starting to talk myself out of going to ride. Boy, my recliner sure would be comfy enough for a quick nap before Mel got home.....

When I got home, I forced myself to dress in my riding clothes and pack my Camelbak Mule for the ride. I promised myself that I would start with a leisurely ride and quit if my legs started hurting.

I arrived at McAllister Park and unloaded my bike and gear. Begrudgingly I mounted the bike and began to ride. My asthma was bothering my breathing a little bit, but I wasn't as winded as I expected I would be after a week layoff from riding.

By the time I decided to stop, I had ridden over 8 miles in a little over an hour. I had a decent sweat going and my legs were starting to feel the effects of the ride. Feeling satisfied that I at least got a good workout, I packed my bike & gear and went home.

Sometimes you have to overcome your own little voices in your head telling you to take the easy way out, there's always tomorrow, your body hurts, etc. When you hear those voices, you need to be even more determined to do what you know is best for you, your body, and your psyche.

I hope to ride again later this week as well as on Sunday. I am thinking about trying a new trail at Guadalupe River State Park in Bulverde. I'll keep you posted. Until then, keep doing what you know is right for you. Don't talk yourself out of it....

No comments: