Sunday, September 28, 2008

NEW TRAIL

Hopkins and I have been trying to expand the number of trails we ride on a regular basis. Having ridden Madrone last Sunday and McAllister on Thursday, we decided to try Guadalupe River State Park today.

I found one website that described it as a tough ride with rocks that could rip your derailleur hanger off your bike. Finding that hard to believe, we decided to try it any way. Even the lady at the park office told us there were rough parts on the trail, but we decided to "manup" and try it anyway.

The trail itself is not that long, maybe 6 miles total. But it is a BITCH. No extra long climbs like Government Canyon or exposed ledges like Madrone, but tons and tons of rocks! If you lose momentum and have to stop, it is hard to get started again because the rocks just go on and on.




I literally had to lockout my front shock because the rebound was causing problems. At one point, my front wheel hit a rock that didn't budge and I was thrown out of my seat. Luckily I was able to step on a rock to lessen the impact on my nether region.

Halfway through the ride, the trail comes to the lip of a canyon, with the Guadalupe River barely visible several dozen feet below. Once we completed the trails, we decided to ride the paved park road down to the riverside.



At one point, we hit a top speed of almost 29 mph on the downhill, which was great until we remembered we would have to climb it on our way back. Nonetheless, we rode down to the river's edge where we took pictures and Hopkins splashed some water on his head.



As tough as the rock gardens are, this trail is good training for our next attempt at Government Canyon. Not only that, but it is half as far as Madrone Trail is from San Antonio, so it makes for a quicker ride. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a date with my recliner and TV. Later, Mel and I have to go to a black tie Patrons party at the museum, so I need all the recovery and rest I can get...

No comments: