Sunday, February 10, 2008

CRAP!

This morning I was looking forward to a long pedal mashing ride, but it was not to be. After getting dressed and loading up my gear, I mounted my bike on the carrier and started my customary pre-ride checks.

As I spun the rear wheel, it dragged really bad, stopping after only a couple of revolutions. I checked the brakes to make sure they were not misaligned, but they were fine. Same thing with the chain and rear derailleur.

I thought maybe the rear axle was gucked up, so I removed the wheel and removed the axle. It was a little rusty, but didn't appear to be bent. I didn't have any grease, so I had to make a quick trip to Performance Bike shop to buy some.

I came back home and greased the axle, then reassembled the parts, thinking that I might still be able to salvage a short ride. Nope. Even with the greased axle, the wheel continued to drag. Now I'll have to take off early sometime this week so I can take my bike to Cycle Logic for them to check it out. Hopefully it's nothing major and it won't cost an arm and a leg to fix.

I guess I'll have to get my kicks on the stationary bikes at the gym this week...

No comments: