Thursday, January 1, 2009

BEST LAID PLANS


HAPPY NEW YEAR! Here's hoping you all have a wonderful, safe, and prosperous 2009. Mel and I stayed true to our low-key roots for New Years Eve. Although we briefly toyed with the idea of joining 250,000 of our closest friends for the celebration downtown, we quickly dismissed it as an option.

Knowing that 2008 was a tough year for many people, we figured several would be trying to drown their bad memories with alcohol, then driving home. Suffice it to say, we thought it would be better to have dinner, then head home before all the amateur drunks.

We went to our favorite Thai restaurant, Tong's Thai, for some incredible lo mien and fried spring rolls. Afterwards we came home, watched Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, then opened a bottle of champagne to toast in the new year. After texting best wishes to family and friends, we went to bed.

Since I have been trying to get over a cold since Christmas Eve, I haven't ridden my bike for a couple of weeks now. I was really stoked about starting New Year's Day off with a bike ride. When I woke up, the sun was shining bright and it looked like it would be an awesome day for a ride. After drinking a cup of coffee and reading the paper, I started loading up my stuff in the truck. By that time, clouds were rolling in from the Gulf and the sky became overcast. :(

"No worries", I thought. I would just head over to McAllister Park for a quick ride for an hour or so, just to get my legs back. As I neared the parking lot, I came around a curve and saw dozens of runners getting ready for a New Year's Day run. CRAP!

You'd think I'd know by now that Mac is notorious for holiday "fun" runs and should be avoided at all costs. Quickly I reverted to Plan B - Mud Creek Park, which is only a couple of miles from Mac. As I drove by Mud Creek, I realized that it's parking lot was also full, so I headed home. I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I can tell when a ride is not to be.

I will give it another shot on Sunday; hopefully I will be fully recovered from my cold and in better shape to ride!

No comments: