Sunday, January 11, 2009

OP SCHNABEL



This morning started out cloudy, dreary, and cold; at least it wasn't windy. I decided to head out to OP because I knew I could get in a good ride, test out my GPS unit, yet still cut the ride short if my endurance didn't hold out. Not necessary.

I was able to ride over 12.5 miles in 2.25 hours, with minimal stops for breaks. My longest break was about 5 minutes to eat a GU gel packet and wipe the snot off my nose. Since it was very cold, not only did my eyes constantly water, my nose was runny. Thank God I wore a long sleeve shirt - the Farmer's Hankie!

After my 2 mile warm up loop, I dropped into the creek bed trails to head out to the roller coaster hills. Midway, I came upon a couple of 8 or 9 year old boys with bikes. One of them was looking at his handlebars and appeared about to cry. I asked if there was anything wrong and he said they had been doing some jumps and when he landed, his handlebar rotated. Now his brake handles were backwards.

I told him I could fix it, so I dug out my multi-tool from my Camelbak and re-adjusted his handlebars so they were comfortable for him. After a quick tightening, they were on their way, happy as can be. As they left, they both shouted, "thanks Mister!". My good deed quota was filled for the day.




By this time, the sun was shining brightly, but there was still a nip in the air - PERFECT RIDING WEATHER! I finished my loop to Bandera Road, rested for a couple of minutes, then headed back. The photo of my ride above is kind of misleading, since I rode several trails twice. Once on my way out, then once on my way back.

I hope the weather holds out next weekend, as I will either head out to Madrone, or seek a new trail to ride! Until next time, adios.

No comments: