Sunday, August 24, 2008

PAT, I'D LIKE TO BUY A VOWEL....


and some stamina please! Because it has been raining off and on all week, I wasn't able to ride during the week as I usually do. It must have affected my stamina, because I was only able to ride 6 miles of the 8.5 mile Madrone Trail.

Although I know being overweight doesn't help, I usually finish the entire trail before heading home; not today. I don't know if I didn't get enough rest, didn't have enough energy since I didn't eat breakfast, maybe the extreme humidity had something to do with it. My guess is all of the above.

I usually don't have to stop to catch my breath until 30 minutes into the ride; today I had to stop after 15 minutes. Although Madrone isn't classified as a lung-buster like Government Canyon, it is still uphill quite a bit of the way. Since the trail is on a peninsula jutting out into the lake, the peninsula itself is one big hill.


I ate a GU packet an hour into the ride and it helped give me a boost, but after two hours, I bonked; hitting my physical wall.

My bike performed like a champ; I just wasn't in the zone to put it through it's paces today. I need to ride a couple of times this week so I can build up my endurance again. I am really looking forward to the Fall and cooler temperatures. That should help quite a bit.


After resting for a while, Mel and I are going to check out the Cibolo Creek trail off I-35 in Schertz. I hear there are some cool trails and I need to add some more trails to my list so I have a variety to choose from. I get bored with McAllister and OP Schnabel, as they are not very technical at all. Don't get me wrong, you will get a good workout at either of the two, but you don't hone your riding skills much there.


Madrone is a cool trail with some technical spots and plenty of rocks, but the two hour round trip drive gets a little tiresome. Government Canyon is a trail I only want to tackle two or three times a year, so I need to find trails that are challenging, yet close to the house.


I'll keep you posted.....

No comments: