Saturday, August 23, 2008

RAINOUT :(



For the last week or so, San Antonio has received some much needed rain. We were in the midst of an extreme drought as recently as July, but with Hurricane Dolly and subsequent storms, we are recovering....from drought.


My problem is, I can't ride when it rains this much. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem getting wet or dirty; I've done so many times. Road bikers probably scoff at the thought of using the rain as an excuse not to ride, but when it rains like it has over the last week, the ground gets saturated and muddy.


Mud is not good for my bike's components, plus it's not good to ride muddy trails, as it causes them to deteriorate and form ruts. This makes it even more dangerous to ride when they dry out, because the ruts can cause serious accidents if you are not careful.


I'm hoping the rain subsides by tomorrow so I can ride Madrone Trail. Madrone doesn't have much dirt/mud, as it is very rocky. But then you have to watch out for wet rocks, as they are very slippery and make it hard to control your bike. I guess I could always go to the gym and ride a stationary bike, but it's not the same.


I guess if nothing else, the rain will force me to get some much needed rest and catch up on honey-dos in the house. Until next time, adios....

No comments: